Monday, February 9, 2015

Last Christmas in Germany

The kids and I spent Christmas Eve morning downtown buying cheeses and creams and sipping hot chocolate in our favorite bookstore.  Well, Emily and I tried to enjoy our hot chocolate. Owen started talking loudly about "funny" accents despite my quiet protests, "Owen we do not act like this in coffee stores.  Owen we need to lower our voices.  Owen, all of the quiet, composed, judging Germans are wondering why I brought you into this establishment and more importantly when am I taking you out."  Finally, I touched his arm and said we had to go.  He shrieked hysterically "YOU SQUEEZED MY ARM.  I AM TELLING DADDY ON YOU. YOU HURT ME."  I slowly wrapped my scarf around my neck, helped Emily put on her coat, and walked out.  I almost took a bow as I exited.

We hosted several neighbors for Christmas Eve dinner after a two-hour English Mass.  Instead of taking pictures, I served French cheeses, hot bread, and slow-cooked chicken with carrots puree and a red-wine reduction.  I made three types of cookies and Rudesheimer coffee.  Yes, I love food.  After dinner, the kids placed reindeer nibs outside our windows and left letters and cookies for Santa.



Christmas morning, the kids ran into see if Santa visited.  I have plenty of blurry under-exposed pictures showing their surprised faces - and one clear picture of Emily with her new Monopoly game.



We spent the day riding our bikes downtown, eating Dunkin Donuts (yes, they were open on Christmas Day), watching "It's a Wonderful Life" and enjoying each other's company.

No comments:

Post a Comment