Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Amazing Day in Frankfurt


I played hooky today so Dave and I could enjoy the city without two kids clamoring for food, rides, toys, and our attention.  I wanted to experience "Frankfurt on Foot" this summer to set the stage for our time here, and this day seemed the perfect opportunity.  The four hour walk runs 365 days a year, rain, snow, or shine, at 10:30 starting from the center point of the original city.  US ex-pats started the company a decade ago, and for only 12 euro, guide people through over two thousand years of history.   We loved every minute of it.  Our tour guide, David explained why the Germans can only tell two jokes while also expounding on eighteenth century coronations that occurred in the Dom, Frankfurt's famous cathedral.  He reviewed significant events that affected the city such as Charlemagne crossing the Maine River - an event that caused him to call the city Frankfurt and showed us the darker side of German history such as the original walls of the Jewish ghetto. We strolled through areas created during Roman times, gaped at 1980's architecture, and savored a sandwich at the kleinmarkethalle.   

I decided to enjoy the tour without my camera, so when everyone comes to visit, they can see for themselves.





1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I have it bookmarked on my phone, and I love checking on it while I am traveling and have down-time. I am so excited to hear about all of your adventures. Congrats to Emily on starting kindergarten, and to Owen for no more diapers - Hooray! I especially loved reading about the ski lift adventure. I'm proud of you all! Love, Kelly

    ReplyDelete