Thursday, September 27, 2012

One of My Favorite (German) Things: Public Transportation

I love the bus and U-Bahn systems here in Frankfurt, and more importantly, I love living in an area where it is so easy to access them.  Actually,  I have not driven the van since leaving Virgina.  (I know my college roommates think that is probably a good thing.)  The bus system posts its schedules on every stop and abides closely to the pick-up times.  I never see trash or dirt littered on the seats and most people wear headphones and don't say a word.  In the mornings, I frequently see kids of all ages as the German schools use the public system rather than separate yellow buses.

One Saturday morning, I discretely climbed on the bus with the double wide stroller (everything in Europe feels tiny) and two loud American kids yelling, "Stop it Emily" "No you stop it Owen." I slid into the open area I assumed could host strollers as well as wheel chairs.  At the next stop,  a very large man on a little scooter rolled onto the bus.  He took one look at where I positioned myself and started yelling at me in German.  The entire bus fell completely silent.  I looked at him blankly, said I did not speak German, and focused my attention on the kids.   Emily whispered, "that mean man is yelling at you mommy." (Nothing like your child to point out what you are trying so desperately to ignore).  He proceeded to yell through the next stop where he then got off the bus.  Thinking I had just violated some German rule, I asked the women next to me what I had done wrong.  She said, "Nothing.  I ride the bus all the time and that man is always mean."

The U-bahn system resembles the metro but with more efficiency.  Most places in Frankfurt can be accessed by a 20 minute train ride.  We rarely wait long and computer signs report the time until the next three trains come through the stop.  (Dave's last experience on the metro:  In June, he enjoyed last minute behind the bench seats at the Nats/Yankees game.  He left the game at four to take the twenty minute metro ride to Springfield so I could pick him up for the DMB concert.  70 minutes and many delays later, I picked him up at Eisenhower.  It would have been another 40 minutes had I waited at Springfield.)  Unlike in the States, Germany uses the honor system for ticket purchases.  You board the train without ever walking through a turnstile or showing anyone your ticket.  However, people in plain clothes randomly walk through the trains and if you are found without a ticket, you owe a hefty fine.

I love picking up my book as I go places instead of silently cursing the cars around me as I sit in long delays trying to get anywhere.  Though I do miss the long phone calls I had with many of you as I waited for the accident to clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment