Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Universal Issues

My new German friend went back to the OR as an orthopedic surgeon on Monday after 10 months of maternity leave.  She explained "Mutterschutz" prevented her from working to her full capacity starting when she announced her pregnancy.  Mutterschutz legally "protects" working mothers by making it illegal to work longer than 8.5 hour days the entire pregnancy.  In addition, starting six weeks before the birth until eight weeks after the birth, they cannot work.  This "protection" is legally regulated in Germany.  German women fought for these rights at the end of the 19th century when work for women  consisted of factory conditions.  Now, in the 21st century, aspects of the law limit women and actually deny them the right to make their own choices for their body's needs.

On the other hand, like most EU countries, the parental leave policy is very progressive.  Mothers and fathers are entitled to parental leave until the child’s third birthday.   For three years, employers must keep the job open and the employee receives two-thirds of her/his income.  In addition, both parents can be home simultaneously and be paid two-thirds of their income for up to 14 months.  Yes, I understand most Americans abhor the tax structure here.  I just think there must be something better then 12 weeks of FMLA and unpaid maternity leave.  The German leave policy allows for more options than the woman quits her job and man brings home the bread model our society continues to push.

I came home early to earn extra hours with my other employers today.  We finished the mural in their bedroom, made chocolate chip pumpkin bread, and watched Harry Potter.  After I prepared their lunches, started their laundry, and treated them to a "spa,"  I decided to take my dinner break.  Of course, I forgot that they changed the policy and cut my meal time to two minutes.  "Water"  "String cheese"  "More pumpkin bread" "Napkins".....




1 comment:

  1. I think I love your kitchen! More pictures of cooking adventures, please.

    Very much missing your pumpkin bread. Nothing says fall like it.

    ReplyDelete