Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Wedding Poem

We ended 2012 like a bride preparing for her wedding.   "Something old" to connect us with the home. "Something new" representing our new journey and life ahead. "Something borrowed"  reminds us we can depend on our friends and family. "Something Blue" to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity.  

Something Old:  Dave woke up early and went straight to the Slingbox.  As I laid in bed, I could hear, "Catch the ball" quickly followed by a tiny echo repeating the sentiments.  Dave and the kids sweat through the morning watching the Skins-Cowboys game.  In order to predict the mood for the day,  I looked at the results, discovered the Skins won, and went back to bed.

Something New:  In October, Dave found the farthest point south to which Ryan Air flew, Sicily.  Ryan Air sells no frills discounted flights throughout Europe.  Located about 75 min from Frankfurt, we arrived at the airport over thee hours before our flight.  We packed three outfits each to last over a week since we only purchased one carry-on.  I found a two bedroom apartment (with a washing machine) - and the owner volunteered to pick us up at the airport and prepare New Year's Eve dinner.  Ah, yes. Raised to fear strangers, I felt nervous, but I heard Italians are nice.  Our flight arrived thirty minutes early, and Alessandro met us with his little blue Fiat. We enjoyed Italian sausages, red wine, and a Sicilian potato dish his mother had made.  His great grandfather built this century old building in which we are staying.  With its hand painted tile floors and over 15 foot ceilings,  it provides an idyllic Sicilian accommodation.

Something Borrowed:   While I listed to fireworks seemingly set off outside my window from 12-4 in the morning,  I wish I had borrowed my sister's ear plugs.  I will take her advice and travel with them in the future.  (As I laid there unable to sleep, I wish I had borrowed some of Mrs. T's books.)

Something Blue:  The Mediterranean

No comments:

Post a Comment