Saturday, February 23, 2013

Winter Blues

Dear Kelly,
I loved visiting you in Park City, UT last year.  Despite the blizzard,  I felt relaxed as we walked around the snow covered sidewalks and watched people move with a different swag than DC.   When I met you in first year chemistry 18 years ago, you embodied cool, calm and collected.  At that time, I thought, it must be the Colorado snow.  I hoped the snow here in Germany would have the same cooling affect on me.  I guess I need a few more winters to feel its effects.

Each morning we awake to snow-covered grounds.  The schools require the kids to keep boots and snow pants for recess.  Dave still practices his swing.  Last week, he dug out a practice green while incredulous eyes watched from the warmth of the clubhouse.  (He stopped swinging in the apartment after the club slipped from his hands.  A club shape etch now decorates the ceiling.)

With a hectic work schedule leaving little time to plan weekend trips, we spend our cold weekends relaxing and hanging around Frankfurt.  Emily and Owen joined a kid's art club.  Each month, they tour a different gallery.  They spent an afternoon at the Shirn Gallery learning about a French Impressionist, Gustave Caillebotte.  Dave helped an Italian woman carry her daughter's wheelchair up the stairs.  She said,"That is the difference between Americans and Europeans.  Americans just jump in and help."



We still love our favorite waffles at the Saturday farmer's market downtown.  Owen "suffers" the half mile walk to the U-bahn with sleet in his face for this culinary delight.  Emily found a spot under the tents.


We participated in traditional February events.  Emily attended a Fathers and Daughters Dance with Dave for Valentine's Day.  I watched Germans dressed in crazy hats and costumes while I attended a work dinner.  Here I learned about Fasching - pre-lenten activities celebrated by the German Catholics.



Because six whole weeks passed since the last vacation, the kids had a week and a half off for winter break.  I know you would spend the time skiing, but we are not quite ready to invest in that sport.  When I come visit you in a few years, JB will teach me.  Emily and I hung out in my favorite bookstore Hugeldubal - it is as good as the Tattered Cover you took me to in Denver.  Like mother like daughter, Emily wanted to stay all day.



That's it from Germany.  Sorry it has been so long since I wrote.  You know how it goes...
Love
D

1 comment:

  1. Dear Danielle,
    (I wrote up a response last weekend, and I thought it posted, but when I came back the comment wasn't there, so I will do my best to recreate it!)

    Thank you for the wonderful letter/post.

    First of all, I think you are doing such an amazing job of enjoying all of the things Frankfut has to offer for your family, even in the winter! I am jealous of your trips to the farmer's market in the middle of winter using public transportation! And, your kids get to visit art galleries!?! How cool is that!?

    It is hard to compare your "winter" life now to either your vacation in Park City or how I approached life 18 years ago :) Being on vacation in a small mountain town (where most other people in the town are also on vacation) is much different than living in a big city, working a demanding full-time job, and caring for young kids. That is just plain harder in every respect!

    I am glad to see you are embracing whatever you can and thinking of new ways to get your family out of the house and enjoying the outdoors. Your experiences (no matter your environment) have so much to do with your attitude, so if you approach the adventure with a fun perspective, you will have fun (even if it seems hard, cold, etc.). It happens to all of us that we end up enjoying cold days at home staying in our PJ's all day, and we need to apprecitate those days for what they are, too, and not feel like we should be doing something else. So, I applaud you all for getting out there and enjoying the enviroment, even if it isn't your favorite climate!

    And, to Dave: Haven't you learned from you past 2 homes (at least) that golf clubs are not meant to be used indoors? Or, at least haven't you become a good enough golfer to hold onto the club??!! :)

    Spring will be here soon, and you sure will appreciate it!

    Love from Park City,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete