Thursday, August 1, 2013

Different Rules

Dave and I prepared for a quick run Sunday morning.  "Can you plug in my phone - the battery died?"  "You packed the charger right?" Nope.  We remembered the car charger.  We started our very quiet European rental car.  Five minutes later, I ran downstairs to answer the door.  I expected to see Jenny returnning from her walk.  A very irritate German woman - who I had seen the day before (ahh, seen sunbathing naked on the very public deck ) - began yelling at me.  I heard, "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH , BLAH, auto" as she gestured to the car.  I looked at her quite puzzled.  Our car sat in the right parking spot.  She continued to yell. "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"  I figured this would be the right moment to say, "Sprechen Sie English?"  Her face became very red.  Apparently, it is against the law to leave your car running at any time you are not in it.

Late morning, we left for Lake Schuchsee, a glacial lake popular for German holiday.  We paused before we entered the beach to warn our curious kids.  "Do not stare at naked people.  The rules are different here.  Bathing suits are optional."


Rocks covered the beach so we all wore our shoes in the water.   Emily worried there would not be enough rocks for her to collect.


 Aunt Jenny tried bare feet.


A few trains came through town.



We swam, ate lunch, collected rocks, and posed for pictures throughout the postcard-perfect
afternoon.






 





No comments:

Post a Comment