Saturday, October 5, 2013

Portugal Day 1: Rain


Despite a restless night, we all woke excited to explore the beach.  The kids and Dave quickly consumed a bowl of Frosted Flakes, two of the three grocery items he grabbed at ten the night before.  I of course, turned my nose at sugary breakfast cereal - how unhealthy.  Instead, I found myself sitting in front of a pastel de nata (custard filled pastry tarte and traditional Portuguese breakfast) and cappuccino 45 minutes later.  The caffeine helped in our next endeavor - finding butter, crackers, and other basics in a Costco size grocery store with no English labels.

I love grocery stores.  Why can't a US chain sell the cuts of meat, quality of spices, and interesting ingredients I find in Europe?



We spent the afternoon freezing our ... I mean having fun on the beach.







"I feel grimy and cold," Emily said with chattering teeth.  After showers, we ventured 45 minutes north to Tavira to eat at Casa Simao.  We found parking, sat in the car through a down pour, then ran into the restaurant.  "Sorry, we closed at 3:00 and reopen at 7:00."  We drove to the next town and found a seafood place right on the water.  Fried squid, fresh tuna, and a bottle of red wine plus a trip to the playground.  Everyone left happy.








No comments:

Post a Comment