Sunday, October 6, 2013

Portugal Day 2: Should We Leave?


"No paper in the toilet bowl."  I assumed the other five languages on the sign in our bathroom stated the same though the German seemed to read, "Toilet paper in the waste basket only" - a slight but critical difference.  I really need to study my German more I thought out loud to Dave.  Or maybe not.  45 minutes and a lot of cleaning later, we found a waste basket for the bathroom.  We then relaxed on the stained white couch attempting to both watch our DVRd Survivor episode and ignore the army of red ants who wanted to watch with us.  The Internet went out so we went to bed.  Around four am, I looked up expecting to see Owen.  No.  A very unwelcome black stray cat had crawled into bed with me.

I awoke a few hours later a little on the cranky end.  When a strong wind pushed in our front door and torrential rains poured onto the floor, we began looking at flights home. (Though the rain did not phase the kids.)


The over priced tickets convinced us to stay, and what do you know, the sun managed to warm the beach.  We watched rough waves pound the sand as the kids played on the surf's edge - a very safe edge.  Several Portuguese women disagreed and stopped us, concerned the waves would take our children.  A small group stood back pointing at us.  One woman called me over and explained that they recently lost a kid.  Great.  Becoming self conscious, we hoovered over Emily and Owen the rest of the afternoon.

We ended the day with nuggets from a familiar place and one more trip to the grocery store.  I made a chorizo sauce and tried not to let any of the cockroaches crawl into the pot.




No comments:

Post a Comment