Friday, April 3, 2015

Yes, My Parents Made it to Germany

Shortly after we returned to Frankfurt in October, I proposed to my parents a ten day trip with four days in Rome for February.  I found $70 round trip tickets to Rome on Ryan Air.  Two days later they agreed to buy the tickets figuring it would only be a $140 loss if they didn't come. Once a week for the following two months Dave and I would discuss it at dinner "Did your parents buy tickets to Germany yet?"  "No, I wonder if they are really going to come." "What's your bet?" "Not likely."

The weekend before they arrived, I spent two nights not-sleeping with Owen as he spiked a 103 fever.  By Tuesday morning, their arrival date, Owen and I were both sick. Wednesday morning, Dave woke up sick.  Instead of exploring Frankfurt, my parents cared for Owen while Dave and I slept  -  all day.  Wednesday night, we packed for Rome though we doubted we would actually go.  Thursday morning, we debated.  Twenty minutes before we had to leave, we decided to just go.  Not a very relaxing start to the trip.  (Then of course, the major highway we take to Hahn Airport closed adding 30 minutes and a lot of panic to our drive.)

We arrived in Rome, found our Bed and Breakfast, and explored our neighborhood.  The next morning, we met our tour guide for the Vatican.  Dave and Owen barely made it up the three dozen stairs.  With his three coats, green complexion, and shivering affect, Dave looked like he belonged in an infirmary.  Ten minutes into the tour, they went back to the hotel.




Picture taking stopped as my thoughts began an endless loop of "Are they okay?" "Why are we here?" "What a mistake" though I did catch Emily posing like the ancient statues.


The Vatican holds my favorite Renaissance Art so I did fall into the moment.  After several hours, Dave realized the medicine he and Owen took had made them sick.   We had hope for a better day after 24hrs with no medicine and a good night sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment