Sunday, April 21, 2013

Working for a Living

Emily and Owen earn allowances each week.  They each have three responsibilities.  Put away their toys, bring their plates to the sink, and one "parent's choice" assigned each day.  I stole this idea from my colleague and his wife.  These allowances prevent emotional battles in which I inevitably threaten to throw all the toys into a large black hefty bag and dump them into the ocean.  (In complete desperation, I even invoke Santa's name.)

Emily now saves every euro in hope of buying an American Girl Doll.  Each week she asks, "Do I have enough?" ("No honey, at 5 euro a week you will be 16 before you can afford those outrageously priced dolls - and forget about the matching outfits and accessories.")   The other morning, before school, she explained to Owen the benefits of these dolls.  Aunt Jenny would be proud.




No comments:

Post a Comment