Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pompeii and Pizza

I chose this cruise for the stop in Pompeii, the ancient Roman city located near Naples.  I read about this city as a child - how the people froze in place when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.  The city remained basically untouched until the late 1700s.

The kids and I followed Jack, Annie and their tree house back in time to Pompeii in the weeks preceding our trip.  The morning we ported in Naples, Emily says, "I don't know how to say this but um I would rather go to kid's club."  Dave and I ventured off the boat on our own.

The Norwegian "excursions" cost over a hundred dollars each, so we decided to figure it out on our own.  We found a bus just off the port for 12 euro each. We just prayed it would actually get us there.






Of course we had to have pizza since it originated in Naples.  We ate two pies in the five hours we were off the boat.  


Why We  Love Cruises 3: Kids Club.  Emily and Owen loved Kid's Club this vacation.   Counselors organized arts and crafts, games, dress-up, and activities.  The boat included a four room kids center with a jungle gym where the activities took place.  Our kids preferred playing with other kids to site seeing with us - can you imagine?  So Dave and I saw Italy, France, and Spain without constant requests for food or "Emily is hitting me."  Then, we spent the afternoons with them at the pool and arcade and focused on "kid's things."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! What a great combination of sight-seeing and kid-friendly activities!

    ReplyDelete