Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Food Envy

I asked Emily who she sits with at lunch.

"Kaityln and Bethan.  Kaityln brings the best lunches.  Sometimes,  I take the wrapper from her pirate's bootie and just smell it.  I just wish I could have some.  She also has these little chocolate chip cookies that have this guy on the front."   Emily sounded like a hawk ready to pounce on her friend's snacks.  I don't want her begging for other kids' food.  Both German stores and the Commissary lack pirate's bootie, so Amazon now sends us a 24 pack box once a month.

Yesterday, Emily explained at snack time Bethan brings the best chocolate.  She passes Emily pieces of it under the table since Miss Natalie does not let them share snacks.  I told her not to sneak other people's food.  She said, "Well, Bethan keeps the bigger piece."

A mother approached Dave last week, "Where do you get those small chocolate wafers?"  It took Dave a minute, "Peppermint patties?  At the Commissary"

"Oh, they are an American food.  I have looked everywhere as Elsa comes home everyday asking for them."

I told Emily she could bring a peppermint patty to Elsa tomorrow.  "Well,  Miss Natalie does not let us share unless we have some for everyone."  I said, "You could sneak it to her."  I quickly realized I was suggesting my daughter disrespect her teacher and break the rules - over chocolate.  She loved the idea, but we decided to bring Elsa's mother a whole bag of peppermint patties during the parents' day.  I guess food envy is universal.

No comments:

Post a Comment