Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cheryl's Brownies

Two months before Owen joined our family, Dave, Emily, and I spent the weekend in Richmond with my college roommate Cheryl.    I watched her quickly melt a chocolate bar and butter, measure flour and baking powder, and mix in eggs and brown sugar.  Delicious.  I adopted her recipe for Ghiradelli classic brownies, and have made them every weekend since.  In Nora Ephron style, I am including the recipe here.

Butter and flour 8X8 pan.  In a heavy 1 1/2 saucepan, melt 4 ounces Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate bars and 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces over low heat, stirring until smooth.  Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Stir in 1 cup brown sugar, packed and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add 2 eggs, mixing well.  In separate bowl, sift together 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour, b1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Slowly fold into chocolate mixture; mix well.  Stir in 1/2 cup chips.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


My love for brownies began in college.  We made them low fat from a mix and spooned cool whip on top.   I spent the summer before fourth year in Charlottesville, studying for the MCATs and training for a triathlon.  Each Friday night, whoever resided in our 14th street apartment watched movies with brownies in hand.

With access to the best ingredients, our weekend brownies continue to improve - European butter, dark brown sugar, and Belgium chocolate.  We can taste the difference.  My friend Bev picked up 40 euros worth for me on her last trip to Belgium.  These small pleasures definitely add to our everyday experience here.



No comments:

Post a Comment