Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grocery Shopping in France

I drove to France on Wednesday to grocery shop.  Yes, France.  My cooking companion, Beverly, and I wanted salts, chocolate, spices, cheese, wine and champagne.  These ingredients warranted  two hours in the car.  (I am sipping a glass of Bordeaux as I write.)  Our cooking instructor, who trained at Le Cordon Bleu, insisted items considered speciality in the US sit on the shelves of every "supermarche" in France.   Our manager recommended a small town, Obernai in the Alsace Region bordering Germany.   The town belonged to the Alsace dukes in the 7th century and is now a wine and beer center.



Traffic and rain extended the drive to three hours, so we went straight to a cafe for quiche and cappuccino.




We walked around the little alleyways and stopped at several cafes though all the stores closed for  a two-hour lunch.







Of course, the town centered around a beautiful church.  I loved the door handle.



I wondered how ALL the bakeries surrvive.




The grocery store appeared rundown like an old Safeway.  I felt total excitement walking through the aisles.  Amazing chocolates, local mustard, and fresh breads.  Anti-theft devices on the 3 euro wine bottles.  I think I missed my calling.  The French people eat creamy fresh butter and cheese with well, French wine, regularly.  How will I ever return to Whole Paycheck?





We ended the day like it began, in a cafe enjoying cappuccino and an eclair.  Food glorious food!






No comments:

Post a Comment