Sunday, September 22, 2013

Riding Around Town

Someone stole Owen's spider man bike.  Owen and I went on a date - he rode his bike to the U-bahn, parked it, and off we went.  We returned a few hours later and the bike was gone.  Lesson learned: buy a lock.  Dave and I planned bike purchases - probably for the holidays.  Instead, on a regularly Tuesday we test drove bikes in a HUGE German store with a built-in quarter mile track.  We walked out with helmets, baskets, and bikes.  Merry Christmas. 

I noticed the high quality German bikes when I passed kids riding in nearby Grunerburg Park.  Every bike must be outfitted with lights, a bell and certain brakes.  The heavy frame reminds me of a little motorized scooter.


A week later, I decided I needed a bike too.  While I love riding a bus, versus driving to work, commuting by bike cut my travel time.  I adjusted quickly to the road rules and love my new wheels.


A year ago, we pushed a double stroller to the weekend markets.  Yesterday, we all rode bikes into the stadtmitte - center city - for our weekly waffles.  I watched in awe as Emily and Owen pedalled up a huge hill while navigating around other bikers and pedestrians.

On a side note, the kids spotted Dunkin Donuts and insisted we stop.  We waited in a 25 minute line for chocolate glazed donuts.  Club music streamed from the speakers and people excitedly examined the menu.  "Coconut, sprinkled, frosted,"  I heard the heavily made-up teenage girls exclaim.  I am definitely in the wrong business.




No comments:

Post a Comment