Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Week Without Dave

Usually when Dave travels to the States for a week,  I attempt to work 40 hours while manically maintaining an Anne-Kalletta level clean house, completing worksheets and reading homework, serving veggies and protein to my two masters, and making lunches, picking out clothes, and actually catching the school bus on time.  ("Emily, you have to eat!   Lift the fork, put the eggs in your mouth, and CHEW.  The bus is pulling around the corner.")  I avoid eye contact with the chatty, put together moms who stand at the bus stop, watching.  I kiss my first grader, run back up to make a cup of coffee (with a shot of amaretto) and bundle up the kindergartner, and walk him to school.  I frantically take his coat off, figure out where his snack goes, change into his indoor shoes, and drop him in early daycare under the judging eyes of the pre-school teachers - who I am sure are thinking "my husband deploys all the time - what's your problem."  I arrive at work thinking I should have put three shots of alcohol in my coffee.

This time, I decided to use my annual leave - not an easy decision.  I value my leave more than money.   If I take three days in a row,  I should visit Prague, Berlin, or Budapest.  When I moved to Germany, I added a new pressure - to travel at every opportunity.  The voice in my head frequently says "Once in a life time opportunity." I forget Frankfurt is a foreign city for me.  A stay-cation here counts as travel.  

With Emily's 100th fall break on Thursday and Friday, we planned mommy and me dates.  We biked downtown, got haircuts, did our nails, and went to two art museums.  Emily asked if we could get treats at the coffee store.  I stopped in front of a European cafe.  "No, the REAL coffee store."  What is the real store?  "Starbucks."

We also started new lego kits.  Emily is building a winter wonderland and Owen, a crazy eagle.




Towards the end of the week, Adriana - Aunt Linda's best friend Joyce's daughter visited.  Adriana, a junior at Brenmar, studied in Scotland this semester.    While she spent a few hours shopping, visiting museums, and walking around Frankfurt, she also made a chocolate cake, played Sorry, and biked with us.




We happily welcomed Dave home on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment