Saturday, November 16, 2013

Brownie Competition

My friend Matthew shares my undying passion for chocolate.  I spot "Milka" wrappers in his trash and hot chocolates start his day.  So you can imagine my surprise when he insisted box brownies - a processed product containing little cocoa - tasted better than homemade whose ingredients include 100g 80% chocolate bar and rich European butter.  He did specify Ghiradelli box brownies, which I made religiously until Cheryl introduced me to the real thing.  Now, I snub my nose at box anything.

We needed a blind taste test to prove homemade is the best.  I would make four different brownies - two box and two different recipes.  Dave and Matthew would taste.  (Matthew's wife, four months pregnant, continues to be sick at the thought of food.)  Our friends Beverly and Tim, who prefer other desserts to brownies, agreed to participate so we could have four sets of taste buds.  Plus, Beverly makes delicious ice cream - the perfect spouse to brownies.

Owen and Emily prepared the box brownies.  (Owen likes to cook without being hampered by clothing.)



 Dave drew the bracket.



I served the samples.  Each person carefully tasted.  Tim created a criteria chart to aid his judging.   We compared two at a time.  The judges quickly declared Duncan Hines the worst in the first set, then the worst overall.  Some preferred both in the second set to the winner of the first.  Coming up with a fair voting mechanism became challenging.


Matthew required a few more tastes to make his decision.  



To my dismay, he chose the Ghiradelli box!!  I now understand why the US still relies on the electoral college.                         

According to Hamilton, It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice.   (I think Matthew may not possess these qualities.)  A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations. (Where as I definitely do.)





No comments:

Post a Comment