Friday, November 15, 2013

Enjoying Germany

The last 24 hrs reminded me I love living in Frankfurt.  Last night, Dave accompanied me to a dinnner for work.  We rode our bikes in the brisk air towards the dozen sky scrapers composing Frankfurt's "skyline."  I love riding the Zeil, the cobblestoned pedestrian rode.  The "old" Opera house - rebuilt of course after the war - lit the platz.  With an extra thirty minutes before dinner, Dave humored me as I modeled winter jackets in Zara and Weisheiten.  We parked our bikes by my favorite art museum and carried our helmets into the restaurant.

The German waiter became quickly annoyed at his dozen American guests.  "We were not expecting babies and have only one high chair."  "Would you please take your seats."  "Uh fried potatoes (you dummie)," he said glaring angerly when Dave asked what side came with his entree.   We excused ourselves early (after two hours) and enjoyed the twenty minute ride home.

This morning, we played nine holes at his "club" in Wiesbaden.  His friend, a young German surgeon, joined us.  (I also met his other golfing buddies - 65 year old Jakob, 73 yearl old Wolfgang, and 80 year old Hadi.  I watched Hadi walk each fairway carrying his 20 lb bag on his back - talk about an inspiration.)  The trees on every hole framed the greens in orange and yellow.  The two hour walk in the unusual fall sun with practically no other people anywhere invoked a sence of (rare) calm.

We returned home, swapped the minivan for our bikes, and headed back downtown.  I bought a stylish new jacket while Dave re-cleated his golf shoes.  We strolled the farmer's market and found brats and waffles - the perfect lunch.  I chatted with my favorite cheese lady resulting in my 40 euro cheese purchase.  (I had to buy the "scharze nusse" - dark walnuts soaking in mysteries black syrup - to slice over the four different cheeses I wanted to try.)  I used my German to request locally grown apples and veggies for the weekend at a produce stand and the guy replied in perfect English.

Riding home, I thought "the perfect day."





No comments:

Post a Comment