Monday, February 17, 2014

Cooking With Emily's Class

During September, I volunteered to be the February cook for Emily's class.  "I will definitely have more time then."  And February came so quickly…

FIS has a small kitchen, sized perfectly for primary aged kids including a stove, oven and sink.  Parents come in twice a month to teach the first graders to cook waffles, cookies, and breads.

The teacher requested a Valentine's themed activity.  Heart-shaped spritzers seemed the perfect multi-step cookie for this crew.  I prepped the dough, made a few batches, and organized decorating kits for the kids.  The kids came through five at a time for a twenty minute lesson.




I showed them how the cookie press worked and we guessed what shapes the different "stencils" make.



We discussed tempering chocolate - how delicate it is to melt.


The kids started licking their fingers.  My heart stopped as my true germ phobia came out.  I wanted to tell Emily not to eat ANY of the cookies at snack time.  Of course, this comment would be crazy - at least according to my husband.  (Really, would it?)



I stayed for lunch and met her friends. Seoyeon, from Japan, had Tupperware full of sushi rolls.  The ham roll is her favorite.  Sanvi, from India, ate curry vegetables.  Emily snacked on her turkey, chips, and banana bread.  Food alone shows me the diversity of her classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment