Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day Two: Vienna

Diane and Colton provided a rainy tour of downtown Vienna.   We walked by the Hofburg Palace, home of the Habsburg dynasty.  Knowing Owen's limits - one actual cultural visit per day - I opted for the one sentence explanation.  "These people had money and power."  Diane elaborated slightly on the success this dynasty had in marrying the rich and famous all over Europe.  Great strategy.





We visited St. Stephen's Cathedral, built in the 12th century to meet the growing city's religious needs.



To escape the rain, we enjoyed Viennese coffee and pastry at the famous Cafe Demel.  I, of course, loved every second.

I want her job.



For our one museum visit, we taxied 20 minutes from the center city to Schonbrunn Palace.  This modest 1,1441 roomed home provided a summer escape for the Habsburgs.  Likened to Versailles in France, this residence did not impress Owen.  We quickly bounded through the rooms, even the one where Mozart first performed at age 8.  Then, the gardens overwhelmed him.  He prevented us from exploring, "Mommy, what if we get loosed?"  He obviously trusts my sense of direction.  He then became "soaking mad" so we decided to head back to the hotel.





Diane organized an amazing night out with another friend of mine who lives in her apartment complex.  We spent a glorious 3 hours at dinner while Corey, her husband, watched the three boys.  Owen and I negotiated before hand.  Good report = New Lego kit.







The next morning, we headed home to Frankfurt.  But I must comment on the airport food.  Instead of processed meat, I found roasted chicken and grilled fresh vegetables.  Instead of McDonald's coffee, each stand served melange.  Instead of stale muffins, I found freshly baked pain au chocolat.  I used to search Dulles for Potbelly's - my favorite treat.  I am now spoiled for life.




No comments:

Post a Comment